Monday 4 February 2013

Harold's: Lamb Shank & Steak

I am fortunate enough to have my birthday during the two weeks of Dine Out Vancouver, so every year I get to eat something delicious to celebrate!

This year my family and I ate at Harold's Bistro and Bar located in a Sheraton hotel. There was a hockey game on that night, otherwise it seems to be a quiet restaurant on other nights.


Appetizers

Lobster & Shrimp Rolls: Lobster, shrimp, taro root, carrot, shitake mushroom, mango relish, mango sauce

I did not expect spring rolls when we ordered this dish but that is exactly what they tasted like! They came pretty fresh out of the fryer so it was so nice, warm, and crunchy.

Lobster & Shrimp Rolls
 Caesar Salad: Crispy romaine, herbs croutons, parmesan cheese, garlic dressing


Caesar Salad
Shrimp Gyoza: Pan-fried dumpling with olive oil, sweet soy glaze, cilantro

These gyozas also came very hot which I appreciated. The shrimp was well blended with the filling so I could not really tell if it was there.

Shrimp Gyoza

Entrée

Grilled Halibut: Blackened halibut with succotash, cilantro butter, served with vegetables, red pepper sauce

Grilled Halibut
 Lamb Shank: Slow braised, red wine sauce, mashed potato, green beans

I thoroughly enjoyed my lamb which was very tender. The meat fell easily off the bone and was not try at all. The green beans could have been cooked a little longer.


Lamb Shank
 New York Steak: 8oz Angus beef, crispy onions, peppercorn jus, mashed potato


New York Steak

Dessert

Double Chocolate Cake: Dark chocolate cake with ganache icing

Both desserts we tried were not stellar. This chocolate cake was a bit stiff and tasted like ones I could find at any grocery store.


Bread Pudding: homemade caramel sauce

I was excited to try the bread pudding after I read Lindsay Anderson's raving review on it. I was quite disappointed because it was OVERLY sweet! I am a person who loves to eat dessert with a big sweet tooth but I could not take more than two bites of this dessert. The cake itself was extremely sweet and with the caramel sauce, the sugar factor just went overboard. I was also not particularly fond of the texture.



All in all, the appetizers and entrees were delicious but the last impression of the meal (aka dessert) was not as great.

Harold's Bistro & Bar on Urbanspoon

0 comments: