Tuesday 4 December 2012

What8ver: Strawberry Toast Box

In the Le Riz post I mentioned that I originally wanted to try out What8ver and a few days later I did! It was a Tuesday night but the small restaurant was almost fully seated. We had to wait about 15 minutes to be seated. Although it was not busy in the restaurant and it was fully staffed with at least four people, the service was slow. 

On recommendation by a friend I tried the Passion Fruit Cream drink which tasted exactly like the one I got at Nikkoffee before it closed down. The white layer is a frothy, sweet cream and the bottom is just tea. I liked it as an alternative to the usual bubble tea.


Finally I have my own infamous toast box photos! When What8ver first opened and these photos were all over my Facebook news feed, I really wanted my own photos.

We ordered the Strawberry Toast Box complete with strawberry ice cream, fresh strawberries, and butter blended with sugar (yellow swirls).



Taiwan is known for its toast boxes and my Taiwanese friend told me that the ones at What8ver taste even better than the famous one in Taiwan! The inside is filled with nine strips of bread each dusted with a layer of sugar then toasted individually before being assembled back into the box. This is definitely a dessert but it is not as sweet as it might look in photos.


Overall I do recommend trying this out despite the slow service. Just remember to go on a weekday and not during busy hours because we tried to call ahead of time to make reservations and they did not pick up the phone.

What8ver Cafe on Urbanspoon

0 comments: